Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Where's my Little Engine that Could?

Today, I learned something about myself and why I don't like to exercising. I've never liked it, and I probably never will. I know that exercise can actually be fun, and while that's all well and good I can't seem to get into the groove of really "liking" it. So, the question is WHY? Anyhow, today I was chatting with a co-worker and contemplating joining a walk/run group for women where (as I understand it), they meet at 5 a.m. for a 1 to 2 mile walk/run (they walk for two minutes, run for one minute, walk for two minutes, run for one minute and so on....). I said, well that doesn't sound so bad; but no sooner than I began to really consider doing it, I started to come up with ALL of the reasons why it would NOT work for me. For example... 5 a.m. is too early for me... I won't be able to keep up with everyone... my knees can't take it... I've never run before... etc. etc. And then the ANSWER hit me like a ton of bricks as I listened to myself. While I have a ton of confidence in virtually every area of my fabulous life, when it comes to exercise I'm actually afraid. I'm afraid that I won't be able to do it and that I will fail at it -- said another way, I just don't have confidence that I can do it. I set good exercise goals, but I end up talking myself out of it every time.  Here's an example... just yesterday, I programmed my treadmill for my 2-mile walk (see my goals); I hit the start button and jumped right on it. But, within the first three minutes of the program, my inner voice was already telling me that I can ONLY do one mile, not two. So, instead of focusing on my 2-mile goal program, I watched the ticker in anticipation of getting to one mile instead so I could stop.  And that's exactly what I did-- I stopped as soon as I reached the one-mile mark.  So where is my little engine that could?  I'm looking for her, because I really need to build some confidence in my ability to exercise.

5 comments:

  1. I also hate exercise. But unlike you, I'm lazy, not afraid of it. Perhaps we innately set ourselves up for failure. I know I do. Part of my journey is to try and reprogram my brain to build my confidence and work through my self doubt so I can experience as many new things as possible. I want the body of someone who does yoga, but will never get there if I can't take the first step and explore what yoga can offer me. I'll continue to work on this and you work on your fears. Maybe together we can lick this:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate. I feel like that quote by Marianne Williamson. "Our Greatest Fear..." It may take work to stop the negative self talk. Just build on your success. You can do this....

    By the way... I put the quote up in the Real Chicks blog.

    Love you sis....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that with small goals and achievements you will find confidence when it comes to exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ONE MILE IS GREAT! Give your self some credit for the success. Period. When you see how much success you have had it will be easy to add onto it. YOU CAN. One trick I have had to resort to is to cover up the ticker so I don't see how much is left. I found that if I do that I can lose myself in the TV program I am watching or the music I am listening to. One mile is nothing to be upset about. You are doing something. Celebrate!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In an effort to get to know some of my newer followers better, I tagged you:) Hope you can play!

    ReplyDelete